Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Never Assume

   For those who care about such things, here's why I have canceled my Facebook account.
   After I commented that Mitt Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as a running mate provides voters with a real choice, the FB computer assumed that the comment was an endorsement, and it posted "John likes Romney" on the profile section.
   It was not, is not, and likely never shall be an endorsement. It was a comment, that's all.
   What's more, the FB computer put me on its list for more messages of praise for the GOP candidate.
   As if I care.
   I do not.
  
   I do not want anyone -- human or cyborg -- assuming what my likes and/or dislikes are, and then spreading that assumption, thus informing others of what it or they assume are my opinions.
   My opinions are my own, and it is my choice as to when, whether, how and to whom I will vent my opinions.
   Sarcasm and subtlety can be difficult to convey in text, and computers are not yet capable of distinguishing neutral comments or observations from endorsements or praise, much less the subtlety that effective sarcasm requires.
   In any case, my comment on the Romney-Ryan issue was neutral, in that it does indeed offer voters a choice.
   Sometimes the choice is negative.
  
   When it comes to elections, voters may not "like" either candidate. Americans often don't vote for one candidate so much as they vote against the other guy.
   So, Mr. FB, you can take your algorithms that gather data on millions of people and assume what they "like," fold them five ways and ...
   I'm gone, to a place where I can express my opinions in my own way, and where I will decide what I "like."

No comments:

Post a Comment